The Permanent Mission of Romania to the United Nations offers opportunities for student internships in New York. The internship provides an extraordinary opportunity to gain relevant experience for enthusiastic students intending to pursue a career in diplomacy or having a particular interest in the field of international relations and international organizations.
- Students accepted for the Mission internship program will participate first hand in Mission's activities.
- This internship is addressed to young individuals able to handle a variety of assignments in a fast-paced, dynamic setting. Selected applicants will work in the Mission’s team. The internship program is offered continuously throughout the year.
- This program is an ongoing learning process both for interns and the Mission. As a general policy, initiative and fresh ideas are strongly encouraged. Generally, the assignments are a result of a mutual agreement between the intern and the Mission, so as both the student’s interests and the needs of the Mission are met
- Although assignments may vary depending on the thematic clusters of the Mission where the intern was assigned: getting involved in an on-going projects developed by the Mission, contributing with materials to the Mission's newsletter, conducting research of different international issues, organizing Mission events, preparing overviews on specific UN activities, assisting in writing of press releases, helping the upgrading of the Mission's web page, attending conferences and meetings organized within the UN or by non-governmental organizations.
- A Certificate of Internship Accomplishment will be issued by the Mission in recognition of a successful internship.
- The internship is open to students holding a high-school/college degree in Romania or in the United States and are enrolled in universities in the United States. We expect a work of commitment of a minimum of 20 hours per week for 4-6 weeks.
- Fluency both in Romanian and English is required. Skills in any UN official languages would be an asset.
- Computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet skills is also required.
The selection of interns is an on-going process. To apply please send:
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in working with the Permanent Mission of Romania to the UN and what you hope to gain from this experience.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Letter of recommendation from one of the intern’s professors.
- The letter of intent and your CV may be sent by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. The recommendation letter should be sent by mail to the Mission in the attention of Ms. Anca Jurcan.
- As part of the application process, an interview will be conducted by one or more members of our staff.
- A period of six weeks is required for an endorsement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bucharest before the intern can actually start the internship.
- The applicants have to hold a valid passport. We will process only applications of those holding a valid US visa for the required/ approved period (preferably G-2).
- The internship is on a voluntary basis. Professionalism and responsibility in fulfilling of all tasks assigned according to mutual agreement is expected.
- The applicants are responsible for making his/her own arrangements for accommodation in New York.